Aug 21, 2015

Something Important


I couldn't find a new item today and I didn't want to not post today, so I decided to turn my attention to something more important. Afterall, Animal Jam is about friendship and conservation, and I want my blog to focus on that, so here are some thoughts...




With all of the fun items in Jamaa, some Jammers forget that Animal Jam was made to help real species, teach children, and spread awareness of endangerment. With the introduction of the lynx, I would like to call to attention that we are entering the sixth mass extinction, and scientists are blaming our own kind. Yeah, it is things like this that make me ashamed to be a human. Don't think it is that big of a problem? Take this into mind:

Snow Leopard Population: around 10,000
Tiger Population: around 5,000
Jaguar Population: around 10,000
Leopard Population: around 250,000

Those are just the big cats. There are trillions of humans, and just look at the numbers of these poor animals, especially the tiger. The tiger is a beloved species, but due to humans, their population is declining. The worst part? We don't care. We spread awareness, but it seems like we either don't really care or we cannot do anything. Not convinced yet? Check out this list- the top ten most endangered species, according to Allaboutwildlife.com, with some additions by me of some animals I am considered about.

1 - Ivory-Billed Woodpecer - Unknown population, Possibly extinct, Rare possible sightings
2 - Amur Leopard - Only Fourty Left
3 - Javan Rhinos - Near Sixty
4 - Northern Sportive Lemur - Less Than 20
5. Western Lowland Gorilla - (I'm not sure why this one is here, it is the most numerous) 100,000
6. The Saola - No known population, last seen around 2003
7. Leatherback Seaturtle (My Childhood) - around 20,000
8. The Tiger - 5,000
9. Chinese Giant Salamander - Unknown, Possibly Extinct
10. Little Dodo Bird - a few hundred

My Own List:
1. The Northern White Rhino - Only in captivity, I last heard that there where four left, but I have also heard rumors of there only being two.
2. Hector's Dolphin - Dolphins and all marine animals have a special place in my heart, and this guy cannot go extinct. There is an estimated population of around 7,000.
3, The Island Fox - Islands and foxes in the same species! Please do not let these 700 little foxes go extinct.
4. Vaquita - These adorable creatures are so cute, but there are only about three hundred left.
5. The Hawaiian Crow -  Yes, crows can be pests to, well, anyone around me living on a farm, but I absolutely love these corvids. The Hawaiian crow is extinct in the wild, and there are only around 100 left in captivity.
6. Iberian Lynx - Yes, a lynx. This would be the first modern bigcat to go extinct, according to List 25. There are only around 83 to 143 left. The reason? We are running out of habitat space and prey for them by building our own cities, where they are run over by cars. Shame, huh?
7. Mexican Wolf - There is an abundance of wolf-lovers on the internet, but I don't think most of them realize the real problem over the cool looks and power of the creature. The Mexican Wolf especially needs our help with only around 340 left.
8. The Baiji Dolphin - Ending with one of my favorites, the Baiji Dolphin needs our help immediately with less that twenty left.

Please help these creatures in every way you can! They need our help and they need it quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment